Friday, February 16, 2007

A Not So Distant War


A touching oped by Ayub Nuri, a former reporter for the Institute for War and Peace Reporting, is a student at Columbia’s Graduate School of Journalism.
At school happy hours, while everyone was socializing and enjoying their drinks, I found myself having to explain the insurgency, the sectarian violence and what I thought would happen if American troops withdrew from Iraq. That was the question that troubled me most.
To me, it sounded like a question that only the defense secretary should be contemplating. Did people here feel entitled to ask it because they had voted for this government, and they therefore felt responsible for their government’s policies? I decided to think this was the reason, and it consoled me.
Read the rest...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A couple of years ago, I met a German wonan whose father, fighting in the German army at the end of WWII, was buried alive by the tanks of the advancing Russians. She was 5 years old at the time. 60 years later, this poor woman was still haunted by the events of that time, and majorly fucked up psychologically.

If only the haunting resulting from our misadventures in Iraq could all be borne by Bush, Cheney, and company, instead of every single Iraqi. Bastards.

Anonymous said...

And I add to it, if the hatred could only remain directed at the Rice, Bush and Cheney camp, and not consume the heart of those who will ultimately find "America" responsible for this ...
I had a grand day today, having to contextualize the "madness" of an idiot like AhmadiNejad, who is so unimportant in his own country, that he choses to get attention by speaking to a bunch of highschool students and shoots his mouth off about wiping Israel , versus the madness of someone like George Bush and teh Israelies, who are OPENLY discussion plans to launch a nuclear attack on Iran.

HopeSpringsATurtle said...

I have the. Best. Readers. Ever.