Friday, April 13, 2007

DeepCon is Deeply Contrite

Yesterday I posted a video (which I've now pulled)that I received from a friend. As it turns out, we were both duped and I passed the deception right along by posting the video here. To my readers and anyone who watched the video at my site, I extend my humblest apologies.

After receiving an email from a friend, I did 2 seconds of research (which of course I should have done before posting) and found this about Jesse Macbeth…the little weasel.

Here's a wiki entry denouncing Mr McLiar: Jesse Macbeth

And here’s the retraction from the video company that produced the video:Pepperspray Productions

Just briefly in my own defense: Because I got the video link from someone I know, I didn’t check it out the way I should’ve, and simply trusted that it was legit. After watching it, I was so disturbed that I rushed to post it. Weird thing is, (I should have trusted my gut...)while talking during the interview, Jesse had his BDU shirt on and unbuttoned. A huge no-no, and a real Ranger, regardless of how “ashamed” he was would have NEVER worn his uniform incorrectly. I’m a dumb-ass. Sorry.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a sad commentary on the degradation of our country's reputation and honor that it's so easy to believe what that guy said. There are plenty of documented atrocities (e.g. Abu Ghraib, videos of Americans shootin downed Iraqis, etc.) that make this sound like not such a stretch for Bushco.

Nice call on the retraction - you are not a dumb ass.

Unknown said...

Hope--
Believe it or not, that sort of thing happens to all of us, at one time or another, to varying degrees.

The most important thing, is your quick retraction and pulling of the story. This adds much to your credibility.

I agree with op99 -- You are NOT a dumb-ass.

Peace, Sister

Pandabonium said...

I was suckered by that article comparing the IQ of Presidents and posted it without checking. Like you I got it from a trusted source. When I realized it was a fake, I posted that information (but left it up with the statement that it was not a real story because I thought it was funny and it was not a serious issue to begin with).

Anyway, it can happen to any of us. The main thing is that you handled it properly when you found out the truth.

This guy Jesse is the dumb ass. Not you, Hope.