Thursday, October 18, 2007

Like I've Been Saying...

San Francisco, my hometown, was just names by a Conde Nast magazine reader's poll, Best Destination in the world. Just like I've been saying. Sheesh.
Why Go?
The view—those fabled hills guarantee stunning vistas from almost every vantage point
America's best food (locals claim), from burritos to haute-organic California cuisine
Neighborhoods that span the spectrum from funky (Upper Haight) to industrial chic (SoMa) to posh (Pacific Heights)
It's no surprise that San Francisco is a perennial favorite among travelers both foreign and domestic. Often described as almost European in ambience, the City by the Bay packs a panoply of vibes into its surprisingly small 50-odd square miles at the tip of its namesake peninsula. Golden Gate Park, a masterpiece of nineteenth-century urban planning, combines the natural beauty of its gardens with the culture of its museums. The city's Chinatown, the largest in the western United States, serves tastes of the East, and the ever-gentrifying Mission district has some of the nation's best taco shops. Haight-Ashbury clings to traces of its hippie past, while well-heeled hoods such as Pacific Heights claim some of the priciest real estate on the planet.
When are you going? Drop me a line, I'll go with.

2 comments:

Pandabonium said...

Hope - I love San Francisco, the whole bay area. I have family there.

That is why my SO (who is Japanese) and I went there 3 years ago - as a farewell to the USA. We enjoyed the SF Symphony, Golden Gate Park, bridge, Muir Woods, Fisherman's Wharf, mueseums, cable cars, and so on and so on. It was wonderful. We think it is the greatest city in the USA.

I hope that someday we can return. But we won't be going back until the ugly face of fascism is gone from American politics. Sorry to say I don't think that will be very soon (as you know). If I were a younger man, I'd be staying and working to make that happen, but I'm not so young. I've done that for decades and I need a break. But San Francisco will be dear to our hearts always.

So, when the day arrives that the Constitution of the United States of America is back in full force and effect, we'll be coming. See you then!

HopeSpringsATurtle said...

If not in Fiji Panda. You will always be welcome at my 'SF Compound' we get back to SF. My deepest concern is for the ill health of the country as well.