Thursday, October 05, 2006

Protest! Demonstration! Free Speech! Velour!


Thursday, October 5th is the day to protest, to use your constitutionally protected (at least for now) to peacably assemble and petition the government for a redress of grievances. The World Can't Wait has created and is hosting protests all over the country. 117 cities all over the country. Find your location and show up!

Here is the text from their site about the protest:

On October 5, people everywhere will walk out of school, take off work, and come to the downtowns & townsquares and set out from there, going through the streets and calling on many more to join us - making a powerful statement: "NO! THIS REGIME DOES NOT REPRESENT US! AND WE WILL DRIVE IT OUT!"

Please don't wait for the criminal bush regime to suspend our right to protest before you participate in what may be your only public protest, it is the protest of a lifetime. I will be there, will you?
Don't forget to bring your velour.

4 comments:

HopeSpringsATurtle said...

Are you going??

Pandabonium said...

Saw your blog on blogmad today and gave you a vote. blogmad has given me a good boost in traffic, so hope it does the same for you.

I hope the protests are a BIG success.

Here in Japan, another LDP fascist has been made PM - no doubt to the utter ignorance of most Americans. Mr. Abe's grandfather worked with Tojo in Manchuria in the 1930's and after the war was imprissoned as a Class A war criminal. He was released when the cold war got going and later got back into government. The LDP was put into power by the CIA in the 1950's and has stayed there. They all have their roots in fascist Japan and have a similar agenda to the neocons. The good news is that the Japanese voter is a little more awake than their American counterparts and much of what the LDP proposes in the area of rights is unpopular.

My approach to things is different. I ran for office twice in the 80's, protested, wrote letters to newspapers, politicians, etc. for decades. I decided several years ago (pre-Bush) that it wasn't going to go well no matter what I did and mad my plans and left. My plan is to set up home in Fiji (for reasons I can explain some other time) and create a safe haven of sorts for family and friends who may need it. I've spent a lot of money supporting people still in the US who I think are doing effective work (more than I could afford to in retrospect).

I've gotten a lot of flak for leaving, but I suppose the Jews who did the same under Hitler did too - until the S*%# hit the fan.

Anyway, Swim, you know I appreciate people like you and what you do. I hope my view turns out to be wrong. I hope things can be changed politically. In my view there are additional forces driving all this. So, while some may chose to stay and try to save the ship, my assessment is that I've got to build a lifeboat and save who I can.

Sorry for the long winded comments.

Have a great day tomorrow!

Pandabonium said...

One more thought:

There is no week nor day nor hour when tyranny may not enter upon this country - if the people lose their confidence in themselves - and lose their roughness and spirit of defiance. - Walt Whitman

HopeSpringsATurtle said...

Panda ...

Tahnk you so much for your thoughts and fights. A life boat is exactly that, to save live.

I'm headed over to your place to tell you more of what I think.
And thank you for the Blogmad vote.